Sunday, June 25, 2006

Can You Pass This Test?


I have recently been challenged with the Ephesians 4:29 challenge. Let me show you what God's word says in Ephesians 4:29
New International Version (NIV)
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

New Living Translation (NLT)
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them"

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear."

New King James Version (NKJV)
"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification , that it may impart grace to the hearers."

A few thoughts occur to me as I read these translations.
1) The verse really focuses on the listener(s). They be built up, edified; the listeners to have grace or be encouraged.
2) It is an absolute statement. Do not allow ANY unwholesome word proceed from your mouth. It does not say to try to build others up. Try not to say anything bad about others. It says do not allow any....absolutely none. Wow.
3) This is really an act of self-control and of considering others.

This will be very difficult for me as words seem to fly out of my mouth without consulting my brain. But God will help me do anything I do in His name. I will pray on this each morning, noon and night and do it through His strength. This lips are made for praising (sing to the tune of These Boots Are Made for Walking)

No comments: